November 2020 – What I Wish My Parents Knew Forum
Posted on: November 17, 2020 | Posted in: Community Blog
Welcome to the What I Wish My Parent’s Knew landing page for the November 2020 Forum, “What’s Really Going On? Listening To Understand My Mental Health.” Below you will find relevant information and resources presented!
- Sarah Archer, Adolescent Program Manager
UCSD Eating Disorders Treatment and Research- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Veronica Mikho, Director of Community Mediation, National Conflict Resolution Center –email@example.com
- 3 Tips for Listening for Understanding
- Do what you can to really listen to the other person: respond respectfully, 1- demonstrate understanding 2- acknowledge feelings 3. talking about underlying needs
- How can I say what I want to tell them in a way that they can hear it: tell your perspective in a Non Confrontational way by stating how the situation is impacting you. What is important to you and what can you both do to reach understanding/resolution
- Communicate your underlying needs instead of your complaints: respect, understanding, acknowledgment, acceptance, fairness, communication, justice, cooperation
Miss The Last WIWMPK?
Check out September 2020’s WIWMPK on “Frameworks for Distance Learning”